Credit: Damon Paruso and Prowrestling.net
The crowd was packed. You couldn’t find one open seat. I took the subway to avoid traffic.
1. Bad News Barrett beat Dean Ambrose and Dolph Ziggler in a Triple Threat to retain the Intercontinental Title. Barrett won with the Bull Hammer. After that, Ambrose came back, hit Dirty Deeds on Barrett, and stole the title belt.
2. Cesaro and Tyson Kidd beat Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods to retain the WWE Tag Team Championship. When we found out we weren’t getting the Usos, the audience (me included) booed the hell out of them until they mentioned the Rangers winning. Kidd and Kofi started the match. Kofi and Woods made consecutive tags in the beginning until Cesaro got in and shut them down. They used heel tactics to keep Woods down. Cesaro hit the swing on Woods and Kidd dropped kicked him. Kidd tagged in, and Wood eventually made the tag to Kofi. Cesaro was tagged in. Kofi hit the boom drop and went up top and hit a crossbody for a good two count. He went for another one and got caught and bodyslammed. Kidd was tagged in and applied the figure four. Kofi made the ropes. Kofi went for a rollup and Cesaro made the save. He hit the Trouble in Paradise on Cesaro, and when the ref wasn’t looking Kidd poked him in the eye, then hit his finisher for the win.
3. Nikki Bella (w/Brie Bella) beat Paige to retain the WWE Divas Championship. The crowd voted before the match whether to have Bri Bella at ringside for the match. She was at ringside. Huge pop for Paige. The second loudest of the night after Ambrose. Before the match Nikki taunted with push-ups. There were a bunch of Let’s go Cena Chants/Cena Sucks chants during the match. There were a lot of chants for Daniel Bryan as well as Brie led Yes chants throughout the match. Paige had the figure four locked in but Bri distracted her. Nikki came back and hit rack attack for the win.
Seth Rollins delivered a promo saying that it would actually be Reigns and Daniel Bryan vs Rollins and Kane instead of Randy Orton. He also talked trash about New York, which drew huge boos.
They showed a video package on The Attitude Era which was really awesome.
Chris Jericho came out to the biggest pop of the night so far. He had his glow jacket on too. I’ve never seen his entrance in person, but it was really cool. Y2J was chanted a lot. He talked about MSG and how The Authority sucks ass. He said he knew someone else who could run the WWE. The crowd chanted Y2J. He was about to say his catch phrase when Luke Harper came out to interrupt him. Harper is huge in person. Y2J said Harper vs Jericho right now and they rang the bell.
4. Chris Jericho beat Luke Harper. As soon as it rang they brawled to the outside. They brought it back inside and Y2J hit the 10 punches on the ropes. Harper came back with a kick. He brought Chris on top and Y2J countered and hit a crossbody. Harper came back with a huge chest slap for a two count. Harper then locked in the infamous headlock.
Y2J got out of it and rallied. He caught Harper and was about to go for the walls but Harper got out. Harper came back with a big body slam for a good two count. Jericho went up top but Harper caught him with a big boot. He went for another slam, but Y2J countered into the Walls. Harper reached the ropes. Harper came back with a huge power bomb for another good two count. He was setting up for his clothesline, but Jericho countered into the Codebreaker for the win. A really good match. Jericho played with the crowd afterwards.
Rusev came out. A lot of heat for Rusev and huge USA chants. Lana delivered a promo about how great Russia was and how bad the U.S. is, especially New York. A lot of heat for both Rusev and Lana, the most of the night. Rusev took the mic and said he wasn’t giving a rematch to John Cena. Triple H appeared on the big screen and said he doesn’t know what happens in Russia but in the U.S. there are rematches. He said Rusev would be giving Cena a rematch and that would be tonight.
Cena came out to mostly boos, but to some pops as well. Definitely more boos than cheers at the in-ring intros. Rusev attacked Cena when he was introduced and the match started.
5. John Cena beat Rusev (w/Lana) by DQ in a U.S. Title match. Rusev took over Cena and went for a clothesline, which he completely botched. He had total control for the first couple of mins of the match. He then hit a bodyslam for a two count. More “lets go Cena/Cena sucks” chants as well. They took it outside. Cena started to make a comeback, but Rusev threw him into the steps. He brought him back inside for a two count.
Rusev continued to dominate. He hit a suplex and while Cena was down, he got the Russian flag and waved it drawing huge boos. Cena caught him and started his come back again, only to get caught by Rusev again for another cross body slam and another two count. He went up top for a headbutt, but Cena dodged hit. He then really made his comeback this time, eventually hitting the five knuckle shuffle, which everyone went along with him. He went for the AA, but Rusev got out of it and hit him with a clothesline for a two count.
Rusev whipped Cena in the corner and went to body him in the corner, when Cena missed and of the top ropes hit a leg drop. He got a close two count. Cena went for an AA, but Rusev reversed into a small package for a two count. Rusev brought him to the ropes. Cena reversed and this time hit a cleaner leg drop for a two count.
Cena went for another AA, but Rusev reversed into a kick to the chest. He went for a body slam, but Cena reversed into the STF. Rusev got out of it and hit a nasty body slam for a good two count. Rusev went for the super kick, but again Cena reversed into the STF. Rusev made the ropes. Cena went for like the sixth AA, but Rusev countered into a kick to the face. He got a close two count. He applied the accolade. Cena got out of it and went for AA. He held on the ropes and the ref got kicked in the face sending him out of the ring. Cena then applied the STF which, of course, Rusev tapped to, but there was no ref to make the call. Cena then realized this, but when he turned around Rusev hit him with a low blow and then a superkick.
Rusev got another ref from the back, but Cena kicked out for a really good near fall. Rusev threw that ref out of the ring, and got a chair. He hit Cena with a chair and was about to pin him but the ref got back in the ring and called for the DQ. After the match, Rusev beat up Cena, and then Cena came back and hit an AA. Cena celebrated with the fans afterwards.
6. R-Truth beat Fandango. I heard R-Truth’s “What’s Ups” from the bathroom. R-Truth won with a rollup.
7. Randy Orton beat Bray Wyatt. Wyatt’s fireflies in person are amazing. He got a pretty good pop. When Orton came out there was a huge pop for him. He’s ripped. Orton started the match with a headlock. Wyatt can back with a shoulder knockdown. Then Orton came back with a clothesline.
They locked up and Wyatt threw Orton into the ropes. He threw him out of the ring and hit him with a running kick to the head. Wyatt had a lot of control with this match, and it was a bit of a slow match. Orton dogged his signature, and started to fire up. He went for the hanging DDT and Wyatt reversed. He went for his a body slam but Orton reversed into a back breaker. He went for the hanging DDT again and this time got it. He played with the crowd, firing them up and did his buildup to the RKO. He went for it but Wyatt countered into a bodyslam. He went for a Sister Abigail, but Orton reversed into a package for a two count. As Wyatt was getting up, Orton hit a nasty RKO out of nowhere for the three count. Orton got a lot of pops during this match.
The Hulk Hogan Appreciation Ceremony took take. He easily had the loudest pop of the night. They raised a banner in the Garden for him, and Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Ric Flair, and Triple H came out. They showed a video package and everything. It was really awesome and the best part of the night by far. A lot of people in our section were crying, including Hogan himself. It was really amazing.
8. Roman Reigns and Daniel Bryan beat Kane and Seth Rollins. Kane got some heat but not much. Rollins got a lot of cheers surprisingly, I guess NY likes him. Reigns got some boos and some cheers, more cheers then boos. Bryan got a lot of cheers. The match began with Bryan. He started to get hot and went for a head kick, but Kane countered and put him in a headlock. It stayed even like this throughout the match, with the heels making constant tags. That would be until Bryan dogged a top rope move by Kane, and Reigns and Rollins were tagged in. Reigns hit the Superman Punch, and then speared him for the win. Afterwards, Bryan and Reigns signed for fans and that was the entire show.
Overall, it was a great house show. We got to see a banner put up in Hogan’s name, saw many legends, and a bunch of good matches.
1. Hulk Hogan
2. Ric Flair
2. Bad News Barrett